From Kinder to Foundation
We care about your child’s education and view the enrolment and transition process as a partnership between the parent, child, the Kindergarten and us, Dandenong South Primary School. Our aim is to make your child’s transition from Kindergarten to Primary School as smooth and enjoyable as possible, and to ensure parents and carers are well informed throughout the transition process.
Transition and Orientation Programs
Orientation is an intrinsic part of our transition program that provides an opportunity for Kindergarten children to visit our school. The children participate in a variety of activities conducted in the Foundation classrooms.
Through this, children are able to:
- familiarise themselves with their prospective school environment
- begin to make connections with their prospective teachers and other children with whom they may be working the following year
- supports children and parents to develop their understanding of everyday life at Dandenong South Primary School.
We look forward to connecting with you, as we prepare for the start of your child’s learning journey with us. See the Enrolment section of our website for further information.
Year 6 – Year 7
- From early on in Year 6, students take part in a program to facilitate their transition into secondary education. This involves discussion of possible schools and assistance with choices. Teachers and students from some of the neighbouring schools come and talk to the students about the range of programs offered at their school and will answer questions that the Year 6 students may have. Some schools provide literature to the students outlining the opportunities that are available at their school. Parents and students are also able to visit various secondary schools during open days or by appointment.
- Year 6 students will have an Orientation Day, early in December at their chosen school, to help them become familiar with the setting and organisation. Year 6 teachers also liaise closely with Year 7 teachers in the region to ensure a smooth transition from primary to secondary education settings.
Between year levels
- Our teachers facilitate transition sessions between year levels in term four. These sessions help students to become familiar with the location of their new class level or new programs and structures that may be in place. This ensures a smooth transition between year levels.