Our Dandenong South Primary School Council comprises of parents, the principal, staff and community members.
School council elections are held in February or March each year. All parents or guardians of students enrolled at the school are eligible to vote for parent members, and staff vote for staff members. School council members are elected for approximately a two year term. Half the membership is elected or co-opted each year creating vacancies for the annual school council election. The current members of School Council at Dandenong South Primary School are:
|Angela Savaglio||Staff Member|
|Peta Emmett||Staff Member|
|Rina Main ( School Council President)||Community member|
School councils have three main responsibilities:
- Finance – overseeing the development of the school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school’s financial operation.
- Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan.
- Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school’s values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan.
Other key functions of school councils include:
- Raising funds for school-related purposes
- Maintaining school grounds and facilities
- Entering into contracts
- Reporting annually to the school community and the Department
- Representing and taking the views of the community into account
- Regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
- Operating a children’s service at the school.
(Reference: Department of Education and Training DET)